Monday, December 03, 2007

[fuzz] This Christmas...


He raises a wrinkled hand
Through the dust and the flies
Wrapped in rags like we are
And with barely open eyes
He takes my finger
And He won’t let go
And He won’t let go

from “Adoration” by the Newsboys

It is that time of year. I try to focus on songs like this one, or on images like the one on the front page. I block out anything in the Santa-Jingle-Carpenters genre and turn my head from angry parking ninjas (lest I quickly become one).

Most Decembers I sigh a lot. I close my eyes, breathe in and pray slow prayers. I think I could make it if it weren't for the bad music. And the ninjas.

But it's here, and there's always a choice: elmo stampedes or Isaiah 58. Frankly, my budget's never allowed me to participate in the actual Run with the Bullies. But it's the spirit of the Run I have to avoid. I sigh just thinking about it. I don't want to be the wide-eyed nut case completely distraught at the lack of customer service in WallyWorld. Yet I go there and feign surprise that they seem to have actually built their business on this very feature.

Here is my grown-up Christmas prayer:

Allow me to see the person, not just their nametag. Make me peaceful and alert to the needs of others. Guide me to Galatians, and keep me fresh with the Spirit's Fruit. Bless me with opportunities to give up my space, let another go first, and listen to someone's frustrations. And remind me I wrote this. Amen.